The Building Division protects the public health and safety by ensuring that all structures are built in accordance with adopted building codes. This Division provides information to the public on building code requirements, reviews and approves building plans, and performs a complete range of building services including plan check review and inspections services for all required codes, including building, plumbing, mechanical, energy, barrier free, and building heights.
The Building Division also investigates complaints regarding illegal or unsafe structures and when necessary, initiates code enforcement orders against violators. To submit a complaint, please visit the Code Compliance webpage.
Washington Labor & Industries conducts electrical system plan checks and inspections.
Building Permit Application
Permit Applications can be found at our Online Permit Center. If you are unable to download the application online or need additional information, call (425) 263-8000.
A least two (2) legible sets of plans with a minimum of 1/4″ per foot scale need to be submitted.
Typical Plan Review Time on Construction Drawings
Once the Building Division receives the drawings, the review can be 4 to 6 weeks depending on work load and complexity of plans.
Current Building Codes in Effect
The current building codes have been adopted under Title 15 of the Mukilteo Municipal Code. Local and state amendments apply.
- 2018 International Residential Code (IRC)
- 2018 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2018 International Fire Code (IFC)
- 2018 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC)
- 2018 Edition of the International Energy Conservation Code/Washington State Energy Code (also see Chapters 51-11C and 51-11R WAC)
- Washington State Energy-Related Building Standards (see Chapter 19.27A RCW)
- ICC A117.1-2009 (Accessibility Code)
These codes are available to view at City Hall.
Building Permit Inspection Requests
- You may call us at (425) 263-8075 or email us your name, address of the property, phone number and type of inspection and whether or not you want an AM or PM Inspection.
- Inspections can be scheduled Monday through Thursday between 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Friday between 7:00 – 10:00 a.m.
- Inspections for requests received before 7:30 a.m. on a regular business day can generally be done that same day.