Code Compliance

*** COVID-19 UPDATE – Updated December 17, 2020 ***

Due to COVID-19, staff is only responding to complaints that are an immediate life or safety issue. All other complaints will be addressed as staff are available. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

The Permit Center takes in complaints of potential code violations.  Staff reviews each complaint, and determines whether the complaint can be investigated by Planning, Building or Public Works staff, or if it needs to be referred to another department or agency. The goal of the City is to work with the property owner to obtain voluntary compliance. If a resolution cannot be reached, the City may begin formal civil and/or criminal enforcement proceedings.

To report a suspected violation, please call (425) 263-8000 or fill out the Complaint Form and submit to the City.

How do I file a complaint? You may submit a written letter, complete a Complaint Form, or contact the Permit Center by phone or in person. Complaint forms are available online, and at City Hall or through the mail upon request. Please provide as much specific information as possible.

Will my name be released? Under Chapter 42.56 of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW), the Public Records Act, you, the complainant, may indicate preference for confidentiality. A “Request for Records Form” is required for any public inquiry of records from the City of Mukilteo. It is the policy of the City to redact any information related to the identity of a complainant who has requested confidentiality. If the case is filed in court, your name must be disclosed if you are to be a witness.

Who will respond to my complaint? Staff responds to complaints regarding alleged violations of building, land use (zoning), sign and business licensing codes, health and safety codes, graffiti, junk/nuisance vehicles, street and sidewalk codes, drainage and engineering codes, and more. Investigations may include site inspections, review of applicable code regulations, and research of property file information.

Appeal Process: Any code enforcement determination may be appealed within twenty-one (21) calendar days of receipt of the decision by submitting a written appeal accompanied with the applicable appeal fee.


Thank you for your upload