PERMIT APPLICATION REVIEW TIMES – Updated March 31, 2021
From now through the end of this summer, the City’s Community Development Department, including Permit Services, will be operating at a reduced staffing level. Between this staffing reduction and COVID-19, the City’s response time to permit-related inquiries/messages as well as time for the processing, review, and issuance of permit applications will be particularly affected.
Customers may experience delays of up to several days in response to general messages and similar inquiries, including tree inspection requests, so please plan accordingly. Expect delays that are several weeks beyond the City’s standard response times for review of permit applications, including submittals and resubmittals.
Thank you for your patience. We look forward to restoring our level of service as staffing returns to regular levels.
PERMIT APPLICATIONS AND RESUBMITTALS – Updated August 10, 2021
City Hall is currently open for limited hours on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, from 9 AM – 3:30 PM, closed for lunch from 12 – 1 PM. Applications and resubmittals can be delivered without an appointment during these hours.
If resubmitting electronically, please follow the instructions below:
- Documents can be submitted electronically by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or on the Online Permit Portal (https://ci-mukilteo-wa.smartgovcommunity.com/Public/Home) and by mail.
- The number of required copies to send in the mail can be found on the appropriate Informational Brochure or in your comment letter from City staff.
- The City is currently able to accept credit cards over the phone (preferred) or a check in the mail.
- If you need assistance submitting electronically, please contact Permit Center staff by email (email@example.com).
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
INSPECTION NOTICE – Updated August 10, 2021
Between August 16 – September 21, 2021, the City will be relying on the services of its contract building inspection and plan review staff. Inspections are limited to construction activities permitted under the current phase for Snohomish County. All job sites must comply with applicable COVID-19 job site requirements.
All contractors, applicants and homeowners are asked to stay at least six (6) feet from the inspector during an inspection. The inspector may cancel or reschedule an inspection if (s)he feels that appropriate social distancing and sanitation measures are not in place, or that such measures cannot reasonably be implemented while the inspector is there.
- Building inspection requests must be made by 2:00 pm the day prior to the requested inspection date. Please call (425) 263-8075 or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request an inspection. Inspections are currently provided only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Requests for morning or afternoon inspections will be honored if possible, but cannot be guaranteed.
- Fire inspection requests must be made by 2:00 pm the day prior to the requested inspection date. Please call (425) 263-8158 or email (email@example.com) to request an inspection.
- Clearing, grading, right-of-way, and stormwater inspection requests must be made a minimum of 72 hours in advance of the requested inspection date. Please call (425) 263-8075 or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request an inspection.
The Permit Division of the Community Development Department is the city’s front line Information Desk and Permit Center; it provides clerical support to Building, Planning, and various city Boards and Commissions. Our staff is dedicated to providing you with prompt and courteous service.
Important Tip: The City recommends applicants take advantage of our free pre-application meeting process to get preliminary feedback on conceptual designs prior to submitting permit applications. City staff from multiple departments attend the meeting to address any potential issues and assist applicants in preparing all the necessary documents for submittal.
Permit application forms, submittal checklists, brochures and other resource materials for specific types of projects are available on our Online Permit Center.
Other Commonly Needed Permits
Electrical Permits: Washington Labor & Industries
Electric Service: Snohomish Public Utility District No. 1
Food Service Permits: Snohomish Health District
Gas Service: Puget Sound Energy
Septic, Well and Public Pool Permits: Snohomish Health District
Parking Permits (Residential, Employee or Commuter): Mukilteo Parking Programs
Need an Inspection?
- Building Inspection: (425) 263-8075 or email
- Fire Sprinkler or Alarm Inspections: call (425) 263-8158 or email
- Public Works Inspection (72 Hour Notice Required): (425) 263-8075 or email
For a specific question regarding development or the permit application process, or to schedule a pre-application meeting, please call (425) 263-8000, email, or stop by City Hall at 11930 Cyrus Way during regular business hours.
Not sure where to start? We have Project Brochures that provide basic information about requirements for different types of projects within the City of Mukilteo!