Building & Permits

***2021 Washington State Codes become effective March 15, 2024***

The City of Mukilteo Permit Center is a great starting place for all your questions. We’re committed to providing prompt and friendly service.

Permit Center’s In-Person Hours

Welcome Sign at City Hall

Monday through Thursday, 8am to Noon and 1pm to 5pm

Applications and Resubmittals – Use our Online Portal  

We’ve gone digital! Please submit permit applications and materials via the Online Portal. Application forms, submittal checklists, and other resources are available HERE. If you need help submitting electronically, please email

We understand adjusting to a new system can be hard, but we’re excited about how this new tool will help us serve you better. The Online Permit Portal streamlines the application process, provides step-by-step guidance, shortens our review times, and shows you real-time status of your application.


Inspections are provided Monday through Thursdays. Requests for morning or afternoon inspections will be honored, if possible, but cannot be guaranteed.

Permit TypeWhen to RequestHow to Schedule
BuildingBy 3pm the day beforeOnline Permit Portal or email
Engineering (clearing, grading, right-of-way, stormwater)72 hours beforeCall 425-263-8000 or email
FireBy 3pm the day beforeCall 425-263-8158 or email
PlanningBy 3pm the day beforeCall 425-263-8000 or email

Click on this image to open the permits portal for the City of Mukilteo.





How to apply for different kinds of sign permits 

For permanent signs (freestanding or attached to the building wall), apply using the Online Portal. Temporary signs (such as lawn signs and A-frames) do not require an official permit, just a simple registration form to acknowledge the rules (click here to register). If you are a non-profit group wanting to display a community banner on one of the city-owned structures, reserve your time and space on the city’s rentals page.

Links to helpful development-related regulations:

If you have questions about how the rules apply to your property or project, please email Depending on the complexity of your question, we may encourage you to schedule a free pre-application meeting.

Where to find information for other types of permits and services:

Electrical Permits: Washington Labor & Industries
Electric Service: Snohomish Public Utility District No. 1
Food Service Permits: Snohomish Health District
Gas Service: Puget Sound Energy
Parking Permits: Mukilteo Parking Programs
Septic, Well and Public Pool Permits: Snohomish Health District
Water/Wastewater Service: Alderwood Water & Wastewater District or Mukilteo Water & Wastewater District



Thank you for your upload