The City of Mukilteo (City) assures that no person shall, on the grounds of race, color, national origin or sex, or any other group of people protected under federal or state discrimination statutes, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any City sponsored program or activity. The City further assures every effort will be made to ensure nondiscrimination in all its programs and activities, including programs and activities that do not receive federal financial aid.
As a recipient of federal highway funds, the City of Mukilteo must comply with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (49 CFR part 21) and related nondiscrimination laws, regulations and other requirements.
In the event the City distributes federal financial aid to a sub-recipient, the City will include Title VI language in all written agreements and will monitor for compliance as specified in Appendices 1 and 2. The Title VI Coordinator is responsible for initiating and monitoring Title VI activities, preparing required reports and other City responsibilities as required by 23 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) Part 200 and 49 CFR Part 21.
About Title VI
Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 states that “no person in the United States shall, on the grounds of race, color or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.”
The Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987 (P.L. 100-259) broadened the scope of Title VI by expanding the definition of terms “programs or activities” to include all programs or activities to include all programs or activities of federal aid recipients, sub-recipients, and contractors/consultants, whether such programs or activities are federally funded or not.
Objectives of the Title VI Nondiscrimination Policy
The objectives of the City of Mukilteo’s Title VI Nondiscrimination Policy are:
• To ensure that all persons, regardless of race, color, national origin, or sex receive the benefits of City programs and activities.
• To ensure the City of Mukilteo complies with Title VI and to assign responsibilities for ensuring compliance.
• To ensure compliance with the Washington State Department of Transportation Nondiscrimination Agreement Population Under 100,000 and Title VI Assurances and Procedures.
• To promote full and fair participatory decision-making.
• To establish clear procedures for filing, investigating, and successfully resolving complaints on a timely basis.
Read the City’s Mukilteo Title VI Non Discrimination Policy & Program and the 2019 Title VI Report in its entirety.